Federal Judge dismisses public corruption case against NYC Mayor Adams
Federal Judge dismisses public corruption case against NYC Mayor Adams
A federal judge on Wednesday permanently dismissed the sweeping public corruption charges against New York City Mayor Eric Adams — denying an effort by Trump’s Justice Department to have them tossed “without prejudice,” or keeping open the possibility of bringing them again.
Manhattan Federal Judge Dale Ho’s decision was not based on the merits of the case against Adams or a belief of whether he was innocent or guilty.
It came after the Justice Department asked Ho to get rid of the case without prejudice, meaning it could be refiled; Mayor Adams asked him to get rid of it permanently, and former federal judges and prosecutors urged him to scrutinize the terms behind the dismissal deal offered to Adams closely and consider appointing a special prosecutor.
The judge appointed an independent lawyer, Paul Clement, the former solicitor general under President George W. Bush, to advise him on the matter, who recommended he dismiss the case for good. Clement said the prospect of the mayor feeling indebted to the president out of fear he could be reindicted and not New Yorkers was “deeply troubling.”
Less than a month after Trump took office, Emil Bove — Trump’s former criminal defense attorney turned top Justice Department official — on Feb. 14 asked Ho to dismiss the case without prejudice, which would have meant federal authorities could bring it again in the future. He cited a need for the mayor to cooperate with Trump’s hardline deportation agenda unimpeded, among other factors unrelated to Adams’s guilt or innocence.
The mayor has faced searing condemnation for agreeing to the terms laid out by the Trump administration and saw calls for his removal amid concerns he was sacrificing New York City’s immigrant communities to save his own skin.
Those criticisms reached a fever pitch when Adams appeared on “Fox & Friends” with Trump’s border czar Tom Homan, who said he’d be “up [the mayor’s] butt” if he didn’t play ball with the Trump administration as it sought to carry out deportations.
Bove filed the dismissal bid after the interim head of the Manhattan U.S. attorney’s office, Danielle Sassoon — a veteran prosecutor and registered Republican whom Trump had installed in the senior role on his first full day in office — quit rather than obey the order to wind down the case, in which Adams faced up to 45 years in prison if convicted.
Sassoon wrote to Trump’s new Attorney General Pam Bondi before resigning, saying she had been preparing to sign off on more charges accusing the mayor of attempting to conceal his crimes from the FBI and ordering others to do the same. She said the proposed arrangement amounted to a “quid pro quo” between Adams and the Trump administration, “indicating that Adams would be in a position to assist with the Department’s enforcement priorities only if the indictment were dismissed.”
The prosecutor was one of at least eight Justice Department staffers to resign over the controversy, including one of the lead prosecutors handling the case, former Assistant U.S. Attorney Hagan Scotten.
In his resignation letter, Scotten, a U.S. Army vet who clerked for conservative Chief Supreme Court Justice John Roberts and Justice Brett Kavanaugh, told Bove he’d have to find another “fool” to ask the court to throw out the case.
“[Any] assistant U.S. attorney would know that our laws and traditions do not allow using the prosecutorial power to influence other citizens, much less elected officials, in this way,” Scotten wrote.
“If no lawyer within earshot of the President is willing to give him that advice, then I expect you will eventually find someone who is enough of a fool, or enough of a coward, to file your motion. But it was never going to be me.”
After the Justice Department filed its dismissal motion, Adams filed his own, asking Ho to get rid of the case for good. He claimed the widely reported letters by Sassoon and Scotten had destroyed whatever presumption of innocence he had left.
The indictment handed up by a federal grand jury in September accused Adams of bribery, wire fraud, conspiracy, and two counts of soliciting contributions from foreign nationals for allegedly putting a price on his political influence starting more than a decade ago when he was Brooklyn borough president.
The case alleged that Adams accepted luxury travel and hotel stays worldwide from wealthy Turkish officials and businessmen and solicited illicit campaign donations from his foreign benefactors, which were funneled through U.S. citizens and maximized through the city’s public matching funds program.
Prosecutors secured a guilty plea from Brooklyn real estate magnate Erden Arkan in January, who was expected to testify at the trial, in which he admitted organizing illegal donations for Adams in spring 2021 on the orders of the then-mayoral candidate. A former senior aide to the mayor, Mohamed Bahi, had also agreed to plead guilty to related charges before Trump’s Justice Department intervened.
The feds said trial evidence would have proven how Adams partly repaid the bribes by forcing former FDNY Commissioner Daniel Nigro to disregard safety concerns by prematurely opening a skyscraper in Midtown housing Turkey’s consulate in time for a visit by President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan.
With Beyoncé's Grammy Wins, Black Women in Country Are Finally Getting Their Due
February 17, 2025Bad Bunny's "Debí Tirar Más Fotos" Tells Puerto Rico's History
February 17, 2025
Comments 0